Basically, all that you need to do is point to a tab-delimited file that contains the list of names you want to check and click a button.
The first row of the file needs to be a header row of column names. Your file needs to contain a column called "FullNameNoAuthors" (e.g. "Ochlopoa annua"), and/or a column called "FullNameWithAuthors" (e.g. "Ochlopoa annua (L.) H. Scholz"). If your file contains both columns, we will first attempt to match on the name with authors; then (if there is not a match) we will attempt to match on the name without authors.
Here is an example input file:
To try this out, click on the following link (or click "Name Matching" in the Tools menu): http://www.tropicos.org/NameMatching.aspx
Click on the "Browse" button to locate the file on your local machine.
Then, click the "Match Names" button.
When processing is complete, an output file will be returned with the original columns, plus the following additional columns (from Tropicos data):
- OutputNameID - Tropicos NameID (if matched)
- OutputHowMatched - which column was matched
- OutputFullNameWithAuthors - name with authors
- OutputAbbreviatedTitle - publication abbreviation (where the name was published)
- OutputCollation - publication collation
- OutputVolume - publication volume
- OutputIssue - publication issue
- OutputPage - publication page
- OutputTitlePageYear - publication title page year
- OutputYearPublished - publication year published (if different from title page)
- OutputNomenclatureStatus - Legitimate, No opinion, or nom. cons.
- OutputBHLLink - link to the protologue in BHL
- OutputBatchID - internal tracking number for the record batch